The Family History website has created this dedicated Lincolnshire family history page to assist Genealogists and Family History Researchers tracing lost ancestors and relatives in the county of Lincolnshire, England. You can find a range of resources in this local family history section of our website.
This society covers Holland, Kesteven and Lindsey, the three parts of this historic county. The society was created in 1990 and has rapidly grown to over 2000 members worldwide. The Society rented premises in Central Lincoln in the year 2000 to act as a research centre.
The service was established in 1948 bringing the records of the three councils together with the Lincoln Diocesan Record Office. The Archives Services has been named alongside 38 national collections designated as “having outstanding national and international importance”.
We have teamed up with the prominent family history website FindmyPast to bring you an extensive range of useful links specific to the Lincolnshire county. We hope these can assist you with your research in the historical county of Lincolnshire and for information on Lincolnshire ancestors:
Births, marriages and deaths
Births – including illegitimate birth records
– In almost 2 million baptismal records, discover when and where your ancestor was baptised in the county.
Lincolnshire Parish Bastardy Cases
– Over 2,400 bastardy cases across centuries.
– Discover records when and the location where your ancestors intent to marry was announced in the county.
Lincolnshire Marriage Index
– Discover ancestors married between 1700 and 1837 in one of 612 parishes.
Lincolnshire Marriage Licence Bonds and Allegations
– Discover ancestors who received a licence bond to marry between 1628 and 1837.
– When and where the marriage took place including who witnessed the marriage.
Deaths – including monument inscriptions
– In this archive are burial records from over 300 locations in the county.
Lincolnshire Cemetery Registers
– Discover ancestors buried between 1854 and 1999 in the county including information such as birth and death dates and residence at time of death.
Lincolnshire Monumental Inscriptions
– Discover the gravesites of your ancestors and relatives between the early 1400’s and 2012.
Lincolnshire, Parish Registers Browse, 1538-1911
– Baptism, marriage and burial records from parishes across Lincolnshire.
Poor law, apprenticeship and workhouse records
Lincolnshire Parish Apprentice Index
Lincolnshire Poor Law Removals 1665-1865
– Discover almost 5,000 people removed from their parish in Lincolnshire and sent back to their home parish.
Lincolnshire Settlement Certificates 1675-1860
– Search the database for over 8,500 people who were granted a settlement certificate and came to live in the historic county. These records relate to people who needed to be examined by the Justices of the Peace when their settlement was in dispute.
Lincolnshire Settlement Examinations 1721-1861
– Records of over 3,600 people who were examined by justices of the peace to see if they were allowed to reside in the historic county under the old Poor Law.
Lincolnshire Workhouse Deaths
– Search for ancestors the died in workhouses in 6 Poor Law unions between the years 1866 and 1944. When, where and possibly how they died.
Lincolnshire, Kesteven Militia Ballot List 1824
– On the ballot list, find your ancestor and reveal the birth year, occupation and whether he was exempt from military service at the time.
Lincolnshire Newspaper Archives
Local Newspaper Archives and Historical Newspapers provide invaluable information for Family Historians and Genealogists. Much local information can often be found that is not available in Parish Records, or Censuses. We are able to provide a direct link to Lincolnshire Newspaper Archives from a variety of newspapers and covering different time periods. Here is the link and information on the historic Lincolnshire Newspapers and time periods covered:
British Newspaper Archives – historic newspaper records in the Lincolnshire area
– This is the link to relevant historical newspapers in the county of Lincolnshire as listed below:
|Local newspaper records||Record years|
|Grimsby Daily Telegraph||1900
|Lincolnshire Free Press||1850
|Lincolnshire Standard and Boston Guardian||1912-1913
|Louth and North Lincolnshire Advertiser||1859-1867
|Market Rasen Weekly Mail, and Lincolnshire Advertiser||1879
|Scunthorpe Evening Telegraph||1939|