Welcome to the Shropshire Family History page. The Family History website has launched this page to help Genealogists and Family History researchers tracing lost ancestors and relatives that were living in and around the county of Shropshire, England, UK. You will find a range of Shropshire regional Family History resources in this local Family History section of our website, including parish records and births, marriages and deaths information that will assist your research:
– This society has over 2000 members after initially being created to assist family researchers in the region in 1979. For a modest fee for membership, a range of opportunities inside the society become available: There are monthly meetings, many of which include specialist guest speakers and opportunities to meet with the rest of the society informally. There are occasional coach trips and outings, a Quarterly Journal, a Society Library and Census Records. These are just some of the many services and activities.
– Local archives for the historic county of Shropshire, including the borough of Telford and Wrekin. Documents, books, maps and drawings are just some of the available services. Around 6000 people visit the offices annually, which includes 5 and a half miles of shelving. Previously known as the County Record Office, the name finally changed to Shropshire Archives in 2003.
Births, marriages and deaths
Here are some useful links from the FindMyPast website to assist you with your research:
– Records from almost 325 parishes dating from 1538 to the year 1900.
Shropshire, Kinnerley & West Felton Bishop’s Transcripts, Baptisms 1630-1685
– Discover records from over 100 parishes dating from the year 1760 to 1900.
– Records from 1538 to 1900.
Shropshire, Kinnerley & West Felton Bishop’s Transcripts, Marriages 1630-1692
Burials – including monumental inscriptions
Shropshire Burials – Records between 1518 to 1900.
Shropshire, Kinnerley & West Felton Bishop’s Transcripts, Burials 1630-1692
Non-conformist record lists
Shropshire, Non-Conformist Membership Lists 1819-1906
– Was your ancestor a member of a non-conformist church?
Shropshire, Parish Registers Browse, 1538-1900
– 2,700 records from over 300 parishes.
Shropshire, Shrewsbury St Julian’s Parish, 1831 Census
– 631 households, you can find out more about the Census on our website.
Shropshire Newspaper Archives
Local Newspaper Archives and Historical Newspapers from the past provide an invaluable information resource for Family History Researchers. Information can often be found which is not available in Parish Records, or national censuses. We are able to provide a direct link to Shropshire Newspaper Archives from a variety of newspapers and covering different time periods. Here is the link and information on the historic Shropshire Newspapers and time periods covered:
Shropshire Newspaper Archives – historic newspaper records in the Shropshire area
– Here is the link for Historical Newspapers, in the county, listed below:
|Local newspaper records||Record years|
|Bridgnorth Journal and South Shropshire Advertiser||1856|
|Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales||1843-1848
|Shrewsbury Free Press, and Advertiser for Salop||1866|